Pages

Friday, July 3, 2015

the beginnings of our 2 separate adoption stories



we could have never in a million years predicted that our family would become an adoptive family much less a bi-racial family. let me tell the truth and replace the word we with the word i  -i would have never imagined that we would be an adoptive family. can you believe that prior to the adoption of our 2nd set of children whom we adopted a little less than a year ago i could easily forget that adoption already had a part in our lives until a reality check would set in? the #1 reality check that always stirs my memory is when i'm filling out medical histories at the doctor's office. however, the idea wasn't foreign for my husband not-at-all. when the process of our recent adoption was making its way to finalization i would constantly ask my husband if he thought that i could love our soon to be adopted children exactly the way i love my natural born children? sadness and fear would fill me every time i would think of such a thing. i easily knew i could be a failure at this thing called adoption. i couldn't bear the thought, no child deserves that. my husband never ever feared those same ideas of mine. my husband always replied saying to me, "YES, YOU WILL LOVE THEM THE SAME BECAUSE I LOVE OUR 1ST SON THAT WAY." bam! another reality check! our son who is now 20 years old is my son by birth, yep i lovingly carried him for 9 months and 2 days, labored him through much, much pain, and forever bear the scar from the emergency c-section he would need for his survival. my husband is not "our" oldest son's biological DNA contributor as he is for our daughter. but, he is part of the huge make-up for all things good in his life 2nd to God our Father. my husband, his dad, awaited the day to become his legal father through adoption. my husband and i have been together since "our" son was 2 years old. the adoption became final when he was age 4. concerning our family's initial union there has been absolutely positively nothing but blessings since the beginning of what i call my husband's insto-family when he married me. all who know us outside of family until they learn of our family's story prior to our recent adopted boys amazingly assumed we were an all related "blood family."


now, we are instantly known by everyone to be an adoptive family because we have been blessed to grow by 2 black boys, our sons. I still am grasping that i have 2 black children. it's not a bad thing, not at all, in fact i love it. there's much to learn about being a bi-racial family as it is so rewarding, yet some of it is sad when the comments and opinions that we get about our choice to become a bi-racial family are condemning -folks, racism is alive and well. no matter, nothing will change that motherhood is my favorite no matter the color of my children! even after almost 2 years later from when we were blessed to have our 1st foster son join our family, our "son" now," i still can't believe that i, me of all people in this world, have adopted  (remember my husband had already adopted). I'm still astonished that i have 4, yes FOUR children! i just can't believe it, i love it so much! i am super duper blessed to have all of my children. one day i will share my story about NOT wanting more children only to fall into the desire of desperately wanting more children. when i wanted more children i would never conceive again. then, get this, when i became content with the idea of my family being the 4 of us, so content to be soon entering the semi stage of empty nest syndrome because we are YOUNG. Just think of all the fun we would have from the energy of us still being young (we're not 40 yet) with the younger years of our children past by, then bam! one day my husband told me to call foster care.


Here's what I know... the picture explains it all when it comes black and white. don't you just love it when God gives you those little special nuggets of gold like the reminder He blessed me with inside this picture, read the caption below that i attached to this picture when i posted it on my facebook:


I didn't plan it, the flash card with the word "one" on it just happen to
be lying on the floor when I asked my son to hold my hand for a picture. How lovely! We are one! One family! Love knows no color and we get to be a unique part of this Truth. We are so very loved by our Father God!




No comments:

Post a Comment